Anne Martin Walsh. (b 1962)
Anne Martin Walsh completed a Masters in Fine Art at CIT Crawford College of Art & Design, Cork in January, 2019, and a BA (Hons 1st class) in Art from the Wexford Campus School of Art & Design, IT Carlow, 2017. She now lives and works in Wexford. Her practice revolves around painting and printmaking, sometimes installed in combination with sculptural elements. Central to this work are themes of sexual and cultural identity that relate to our natural environment and reference a range of topics taken from history and mythology. She is interested in the layering of paint and different forms of mark-making. Through her art work she endeavours to create an alternative way of seeing; a physical and spiritual connection to the earth.
This artist has participated in several groups shows in Ireland during 2019 and 2020. She was involved in a joint exhibition in The Creative Hub, Wexford; FORCE/EFFECT/RESPONSE, from 14th December, 2019 to 12 January, 2020 and was also one of eight artists taking part in The Living Arts Project 2019/20. The exhibition, VIBRATION: Embracing a Higher Connection to Our Planet, at Kamera 8, Wexford, was her first major solo show since graduating from her Masters. In 2020, she was part of: HERE TOGETHER: Architectures of Belief & Rhythms of Ritual, a collaborative exhibition in Carlow College/St. Patrick’s, Carlow. She took part in the Portraits For Heroes in April 2020. Anne Martin Walsh is a member of Nua Collective, ‘Ireland’s newest online virtual experience playing host to professional, practicing artists who form part of an inclusive, supportive community’. Martin Walsh was awarded an Artlinks Bursary 2020 by Wexford County Council Arts Department.
Anne Martin Walsh
My practice revolves around painting, photography and printmaking, sometimes installed in combination with sculptural elements. Central to this work are themes of sexual and cultural identity that relate to our natural environment and reference a range of topics taken from history and mythology. My research involves an examination of geomagnetic ley-lines, ancient sites, Sheela-na-gig and rituals such as divination. All of these are important in my ongoing inquiries, as this exploration is imperative as a way of re-connecting with the earth and creating a new visual language.
I am interested in the layering of paint and different forms of mark-making. The work becomes more about the medium as the painting evolves, allowing a certain ebb and flow while encouraging the plasticity of the paint. The involvement of printed sections in the process creates another dimension to the painting and the sculpting of clay-forms by hand enhances my understanding of the materiality of the subject. The art becomes visceral, primal and gestural in its making, with embedded references to a landscape inscribed through the chosen medium.
Through my work I endeavour to create an alternative way of seeing, evoking a sense of being grounded for both myself and the viewer; a physical and spiritual connection to the earth and an awareness of environmental issues.
Anne Martin Walsh. (b. 1962 Ireland)
Phone: 00353 87 4127663
CIT Crawford College of Art and Design, Cork. Masters of Art in Art and Process, 2019.
ITCarlow, Wexford School of Art and Design; BA Hons (1st Class) Fine Art Degree, 2017.
Gorey school of Art, Co. Wexford; QQI Level 6, 2014. (awarded 9 distinctions)
Waterford Regional Hospital School of Nursing; Diploma in General Nursing, 1985.
March 12 – May 1, 2021: NATURE COLLATED. The Presentation Arts Centre, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford. Online at: https://www.presentationcentre.ie/annemartinwalsh.html
January 16 – January 30, 2020: VIBRATION. Embracing a Higher Connection to Our Planet, curated by Anya Gosseln. Kamera 8, 5 Rowe Street, Wexford.
- March 17, 2021: EQUINOX, An Exhibition by Nua Collective. Online at: https://nuacollective.ie/equinox/
- January 23, 2021: The Year of Magical Thinking, Dunamaise Arts Centre, Portlaoise, Co. Laoise. Online at: https://artspaces.kunstmatrix.com/de/exhibition/4318561/the-year-of-magical-thinking
- January 21, 2021: SEE/ME #ArtInTransition All Participants Slideshow. Online at: https://vimeo.com/502757202
- December 14, 2020 – January 14, 2021. The Courthouse Gallery and Studio Winter Open, Ennistymon, Co. Clare and Online at: http://thecourthousegallery.com/online-store?start=96
- November 29, 2020 – January 2021: Annual 44 Art Exhibition. Online at: https://theannual44.viewingrooms.com/
- November 26, 2020 – : Nua Collective’s Premier Exhibition. Online at: https://nuacollective.ie/exhibitions/
- August 3 – October 3, 2020: Places We Love, Artlink Members Virtual Show at artlinkonline.ie
- July 31 – October 7, 2020: Stories from Lismore and beyond, The Main Gallery, Lismore Castle Arts. Lismore, Co. Waterford
- March 20 – May 8, 2020: The 5th Annual Open Call Exhibition, The Presentation Centre, Enniscorthy. Online and in situ.
- February 10 – October 5, 2020: HERE TOGETHER: Architectures of Belief & Rhythms of Ritual. A collaborative exhibition in Carlow College/St. Patrick’s, Carlow.
- December 14, 2019 – January 12, 2020: FORCE/EFFECT/RESPONSE (joint exhibition) The Creative Hub, Main Street/Malin Street, Wexford.
- November 23 – December 15, 2019: ARTFORM Annual Contemporary Art Fair, 44 The Quay, Waterford.
- October 20 – November 3, 2019: WEX – ART ’19, 7 Slaney Street, Wexford.
- August 2 – 5, 2019: EAT 2019. Enniscorthy, Co Wexford.
- April 25 – May 2, 2019. Catch 2019. The Nude THE SEA The Muse. Stella Maris Centre, Kilmore Quay, Wexford.
- March 15 – May 10, 2019. The A.O.C. Presentation Centre, Enniscorthy, Co. Wexford.
- January 26 – March 16, 2019: Open Submission Show 2019. Green Acres Gallery, Wexford.
- November 29 – December 14, 2018: Memories of a Nervous System. MA in Art and Process, CIT CRAWFORD College of Art & Design Graduate Exhibition, 46 Grand Parade, Cork
- January 27– February 24, 2018: Open Submission Show 2018. Green Acres Gallery, Wexford.
- November 2017 – January 2018: Visibility. Dunamaise Arts Centre, Portlaoise, Co. Laois.
- August 2017: 21st National Open Art competition (shortlisted). Exhibited on their online gallery.
- May – June 2017: Beyond these Walls. Ba (Hons) Fine Art Degree Exhibition, The Arts Centre, Wexford.
- March 2016: Enigma: a journey into the unconscious mind. Unit 1, Drinagh, Wexford.
- May 2015: Tunnel Vision. IT Carlow Wexford Campus School of Art and Design, Hill Street, Wexford.
- December 2014: Go with the Flow. IT Carlow Wexford Campus School of Art and Design, Hill Street, Wexford.
- May – June 2014: Out of Focus. Gorey School of Art, Co. Wexford
Work sold to public collection.
Works held in private collections in the UK, America, Canada and Ireland.
Residencies & Awards:
Awarded an Artlinks Bursary 2020 by Wexford County Council Arts Department.
WCC & WAC Living Arts Project, Artist Residency Programme, 2019/2020
WCC & WAC Living Arts Project Workshop (Assistant Artist). April 2019 WCC & WAC Living Arts Project, Artist Residency Programme, 2017. (Assistant Artist).